What is Yoga about?
What does Yoga help us achieve?
- Co-ordinating movement with breath with clarity and intention to become completely present in the moment.
- A physical practice that encourages you to be your most vital and intelligent self on the mat and disengaged from the ruminating of the mind which so often distracts and defines us.
- Moving consciously and thoughtfully so you can accurately observe your actions and act more skillfully.
- Cultivating a quality of attention in your Asana practice that translates into your daily life.
- Carrying what you do on the mat to the person you are off the mat.
By focusing on the details of the correct practice of Asana helps to draw our skattered mind to the moment. The mind is operating fully and consciously but it is being used to co-ordinate all the many actions of the gross body which helps to firmly locate ourselves in the present moment.
When we are present in the moment we are less prone to fall victim of the mental chatter that directs us away from our true self. When the mind is no longer yo-yoing from the past to the future it brings about a real sense of lightness and freedom.
The obstacles we face on the mat often reflect the ones we face off the mat. “I’m not good enough”, “I can’t do this”, “I will never be able to do this”, “I feel bad”, “What is the point?”. These self defeating and critical thoughts become so relentless we become convinced of them. By observing the physical skill aquired by regular practice we learn to have more faith in ourselves off the mat.